Considering that my boyfriend proposed to me last year on Valentine’s Day (in the bathtub, no less) one might assume 2010 would be a tough act to follow. Not so, however, because I love these nifty heart-shaped handwarmers he gave me: they’re practical, whimsical, and even a little nerdy, thanks to the science behind them. Add to this the fact that they are resuseable, and for me, that’s a winning combo.
Yes, Valentine’s Day came early in our house simply because – while it has been cold lately – it could easily be 80 degrees here in Texas by the time February rolls around.
The top photo in this post is a before/after shot of a couple of the handwarmers. Each vinyl heart is filled with red-tinted sodium acetate. Snapping the circular metal device inside the heart triggers a phase change in the super-cooled liquid. Suddenly – as though struck by Cupid’s arrow – pink crystals form and rapidly spread through the heart as it magically (yes, magically, science is magic, too!) transforms from liquid to solid, producing heat as a byproduct. Cool, eh? Well, warm, if you want to be literal.
The heart-shape is actually quite practical, since the pointy end of the heart tucks right into the corner of your pocket. To reuse the handwarmers, you simply simmer them in nearly boiling water for about 15 minutes. (I like to put them back in my pocket to cool, thereby gaining another use.)
If there’s someone in your life you’d like to keep warm, I highly recommend these handy little hearts as a fun gift.
Do you have Valentine’s Day plans, yet? I did some digging around to see what is available in the Dallas – Fort Worth area, and found some rather unusual celebrations going on, such as:
- A Valentine’s-themed haunted house called “Blood, Chainsaws & Valentines” (Texans love haunted houses!)
- Valentine’s Day Partner Yoga (Hindi-styleTwister?)
- An after-hours museum exhibit entitled, “The Science of Love” which offers wine-tasting and hands-on exhibits (They didn’t say what the hands would be on…)
- An improv comedy show, featuring a humorous “Love Day Battle of the Sexes” (Well, I hope it’s humorous. I’ve known some couples who conduct distinctly un-humorous ‘battle of the sexes’ competitions.)
- An Elvis impersonator performing a special “Love Me Tender” concert. (You’ve gotta love Elvis.)
- A “Paw-ty” for dog lovers, featuring pet photography, treats for humans and pets, and the crowning of Mr. and Mrs. Canine Valentine (It all benefits a local Dalmatian rescue society, too.)
- A vaudeville style Valentine’s performance at a swanky hotel, featuring burlesque, comedy, music and acrobats.
As for me, I’ve no idea what I’m gonna do for my man this year on Valentine’s Day. Luckily, there’s still time to plan. What about you?